Summertime Broccoli and Pepper Stir-Fry
For the Rice
4 cups cooked rice (Prepare rice however you prefer, we used our handy dandy rice cooker!)
1 garlic stem (One clove of garlic would work just fine)
2 tsp. grated ginger
3 Tbsp. soy sauce or tamari
1 small scallion, chopped
Juice of 1 lime
I Tbsp. toasted sesame oil
1. Combine soy sauce (or alternative), garlic, ginger, and scallion in a small bowl. Whisk in lime juice and toasted sesame oil.
2. Pour mixture over cooked rice and toss with fork to combine. Keep warm.
For the Stir-Fry
2 Tbsp. Peanut Oil
1 Scallion, finely sliced
1 Garlic stem, finely chopped (or 1 Garlic clove, finely grated)
1 and 1/2 tsp. Ginger, finely grated
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 pound broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 large red bell pepper, sliced into strips
Handful of mushrooms, sliced (We love baby bellas!)
1/2 package of Vegan chicken cubes or tofu (optional)
1 Tbsp. soy sauce, tamari, or Braggs
Toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
- Heat peanut oil in Wok or large, deep skillet over high heat. Add scallion, garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes, stirring constantly, for just a few seconds.
- Add optional protein (vegan chicken or tofu), fpllowed by the broccoli, red bell pepper, and mushrooms. Cook, stirring constantly for approximately 3 minutes
3. Add soy sauce (or alternative) and 3 Tbsp. of water. Stir, reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook until vegetables are tender but still have their bright color. This will take about 3 minutes.
4. Add Cilantro and toss.
5. Serve over warm rice and garnish with toasted sesame seeds!
You should definitely do your best to find some fresh, local broccoli this summer! It stole the show in this dish, and we couldn't get enough! It's safe to say it was the best broccoli either of us had ever tasted. Happy eating!
Peace, Love, and Broccoli
Pam and KT