Here's the thing...we're obsessed with pizza. In our minds, pretty much anything that tastes good should (and will) go on a pizza crust. Since we also love to travel, literally and in our imaginations, one of our favorite things to create are pizzas based on different world cuisines. Today's creation is inspired by the flavors of Morocco.
Before we get to the flavors ON the pizza, one must first acquire a crust! You can buy it pre-made or dough from the refrigerated section of your grocery store. Being over-achievers, we prefer to make ours from scratch. The bread machine is a well loved appliance in our kitchen for this very purpose.
Crust in the making!
Rockin' Moroccan Pizza
For the sauce:
1 cup pizza sauce (such as Muir Glen Organic Pizza Sauce)
1 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh cilantro (From our box!)
1 and 1/4 tsp. Moroccan spice blend (made from combining 1/2 tsp. ground cumin, 1/2 tsp. ground coriander, 1/4 tsp. cinnamon)
1. Mix ingredients together and spread on pizza crust.
For the toppings:
1/2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
1/2 medium eggplant, thinly sliced
1-2 green onions, thinly sliced (From our box!)
1 cup chickpeas, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup olives, sliced
1 tsp. caraway seeds
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 cup Vegan mozarella cheese shreds (Daiya is the best for pizza)
1/8 cup fresh parsley and 1/8 cup fresh mint leaves, combined and coarsely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Lay zucchini and eggplant slices out on a paper towel and sprinkle lightly with salt. Let sit for 5-10 minutes.
3. Spread coarsely chopped chickpeas on pizza.
4. Saute zucchini, eggplant, and green onion in about 2 Tbsp. olive oil, until lightly browned. Distribute over pizza.