As you can see, we like to brainstorm with margaritas. Then it hit us...a pizza based off of possibly the most famous and well loved dish to come out of Louisiana. Jambalaya!!
Jambalaya is a rice dish containing the "trinity" of celery, peppers, and onions. It usually contains andouille sausage and tomatoes, combining together to create a spicy taste sensation. If we simply replaced the rice with a delicious, fluffy, home made crust, we decided we would have quite a delectable pizza on our hands.
Nifty Pizza #18 - Louisiana
Dough for 1 Pizza Crust
Louisiana Hot Sauce
Bell Peppers, chopped
Vegan Andouille Sausage, sliced
Vegan Cheddar Style Cheese Shreds
Fresh Parsley, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Prepare your pizza sauce. Mix standard tomato based sauce with about 5-10 drops of Louisiana hot sauce (depending on how spicy you want your slice!).
3. Prepare your trinity of vegetables. Place the celery, onions, and peppers into a skillet and sautee with the creole seasoning. After they have had a chance to cook, add your sliced vegan sausage.
4. Now you're ready to assemble your pie! Spread your spicy Southern sauce over your crust, followed by the cooked veggies and sausage.
5. Top with a generous helping of vegan cheddar style cheese, and garnish with fresh parsley.
6. Bake for 10 minutes on the center rack, and 10 minutes on the bottom rack of your oven. This is our secret for the perfect crust - soft and doughy, yet just the right amount of crispiness on the bottom.
7. Let the pizza cool, trust us you'll want to. It's hot enough without the added degrees straight out of the oven! Then slice, plate, and party like you're in New Orleans!
We've made a LOT of pizzas in our kitchen, but this definitely ranks as one of the best. It was perfectly spicy and flavorful, and felt like a Mardi Gras celebration in our mouths. The heat from the hot sauce and seasonings brought to mind the long, balmy afternoons that are abundant down south in Louisiana.
KT has once again left (and packed 2 slices of this amazing pizza in her ukulele case. Don't worry, the security guards had a good laugh about that one), but thankfully we had an amazing week together full of family, friends, and most importantly...PIZZA!!
Peace, Love, and Beads,
Pam and KT