This is my friend Stef, aka one of the coolest people ever, aka The Queen of Rhubarb Pie. When I came to the theatre, she was assigned as my mentor, and little did I know that she would also be teaching me The Ways of the Rhubarb. She makes the perfect pie...so one sunny afternoon we dedicated the day to my new favorite dessert!
Stef's Perfect Rhubarb Pie
For the Crust:
2 cups Flour
1 tsp. Salt
2/3 cup Vegan Shortening
5 to 7 Tbsp cold Water
For the Filling:
4 cups Rhubarb
1 and 2/3 cups Sugar
1/3 cup Flour
Dash of Salt
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Mix together the Flour and Salt, then cut in the Shortening
3. Sprinkle in Water and toss with fork.
4. Roll out two crusts -- one for the bottom, one for the top! Place bottom crust in pie pan.
5. Mix together the filling and let it sit for at least 15 minutes. Spoon mixture into the pie crust. Top with the remaining dough.
6. Bake for 50 minutes.
7. Let cool (it's difficult), keep the kitties from eating your masterpiece (even MORE difficult), and try to only eat one slice (the MOST difficult).
|Pie Toppers: "S" for Stef and "K" for KT!!|
|Our perfect Stef and KT pie!! A true work of Rhub-art.|
Who would have thought that when I moved to MN, I would not only gain theatrical experience, I would also gain a new favorite pie. I have successfully had pie every night for about the past 3 weeks...I just keep making more! Stef and I have made pie together twice. My friend Carla and I have even started making Cup-Pies (think a cupcake, but a pie!) as well as a few delicious Pear Rhubarb Crumbles (yep, that's plural. We've made at least 3). We might be addicted. All I know is that Rhubarb Pie is amazing, and I'm going to eat as much of it as I can until Rhubarb season is over...and then there's always that stash in the freezer....
|The good stuff.|
Peace, Love, and Rhubarb Divas
Pam and KT (and special guest star, STEF!!)