For the Hazelnut Cupcake:
1 cup plus 2 Tbsp All-Purpose Flour
1/3 cup Hazelnuts, very finely ground
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Nutmeg
2/3 cup Hazelnut Milk
1 Tbsp Ground Flaxseeds
1/3 cup Canola Oil
1/4 cup Maple Syrup
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1 and 1/2 tsp Hazelnut Extract
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 cup Mini Chocolate Chips or Chunks
1. Line cupcake pan and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the hazelnut milk and ground flaxseeds. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add in the finely ground hazelnuts and stir.
4. To the milk mixture, add the canola oil, maple syrup, brown sugar, hazelnut extract, and vanilla extract. Beat well with a mixer to incorporate.
5. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients in two additions.
6. Stir in the chocolate chips.
7. Spoon into liners, bake for 22-24 minutes, and let cool while preparing the filling!
For the Pistachio Cream Filling:
1/4 cup Vegan Margarine, softened
2 Tbsp Shortening
1/3 cup Pistachio Butter
1 and 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 and 1/4 cup Powdered Sugar
1 to 2 Tbsp Rice Milk or other Non-dairy Milk
1. With an electric mixer, cream together the margarine and shortening until smooth.
2. Add pistachio butter and vanilla, beat until smooth.
3. Beat in powdered sugar and milk until mixture is a good frosting consistency. Put the mixture into a piping bag and fill the cupcakes once they are cooled.
For the Chocolate Ganache:
1/4 cup Non-dairy Milk
1/2 cup Vegan Chocolate Chips
2 Tbsp Maple Syrup
1. In a small saucepan, bring the milk to a gentle boil. Immediately remove it from the heat, adding the chocolate chips and maple syrup. Whisk gently until the chocolate is fully melted and smooth.
2. Let cool slightly, then spread over the cupcakes. Garnish with chopped pistachios or hazelnuts!
3. Put on Don Giovanni, Fugue in G Minor, or even Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, and enjoy a taste of Osterreich!
We really do love our Austrian treats. From Almdudler (seen above), to Strudel, to Pombears -- these things are all near and dear to our hearts. You may even remember our Sachertorte Cupcakes back in May! Who knows, next we might veganize Schnitzel!!
Peace, Love, and Balls,