Back in the day when we lived in Vienna, Austria we had our fair share of delicious desserts. One of these is the famous Sachertorte. This dark chocolate and apricot delight topped with fudgy icing is one of the most famous dishes of Austria, and once you eat it you can totally understand why. Needless to say, while reminiscing about our days in Austria, we quickly decided it NEEDED to be made into a cupcake.
For the chocolate cupcake:
"Your Basic Chocolate Cupcake" from Vegan Cupcakes take over the World
1 Cup soy milk
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. chocolate extract
1 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup Dutch processed cocoa powder (This is one case where I recommend using all Dutch processed instead of half and half)
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin pan with paper liners.
2. Whisk together to soymilk and vinegar in a large bowl, set aside for a few minutes to curdle. Add sugar, oil, vanilla extract, and chocolate extract to the soymilk mixture. Beat until foamy.
3. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. 4. Add in two batches into wet ingredients and beat until no large lumps remain.
5. Pour into liners. Bake 18-20 minutes. Transfer to cooling rack and let cool completely.
For the Sachertorte goodness
All-natural Apricot fruit spread (for filling)
1/4 cup soy milk
1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
2 tbsp maple syrup
1/4 cup chopped pistachios
1. Carve small cones from the centers of the cupcakes. Make sure to save the cones! Fill remaining holes with about 1 tsp. of fruit spread and replace the cones.
2. In a small pan, bring soy milk to a gentle boil. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips and maple syrup. Stir until completely melted and let cool slightly.
3. Top cupcakes with chocolate. Garnish with chopped pistachios
4. Say "So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye" to the cupcakes as they make their way into your tummy.
As soon as we bit into this decadent cuppie, we found ourselves back in Vienna, frolicking through the Alps and gathering edelweiss. We were sure to share this experience with Beth (the older sister) and her boyfriend, Chet (our biggest fan!!)
Beth and KT swinging away, just like we did in Osterreich :)
Peace, Love, and Kuchen
Pam and KT