Nifty Pizza #13 - Illinois
Chicago-Style Deep Dish: This recipe makes two 8 inch pizzas.
Pizza Dough (We used about 1 and 1/3the amount of dough we would use for 2 traditional pies)
Vegan Shortening and Cornmeal (To grease the cake pans)
Deep Dish Tomato Sauce (Recipe below!)
2 cups Daiya Mozzarella Cheese
1 and 1/2 cups Vegan Sausage, crumbled and browned (in a skillet) OR Vegan Pepperoni
1/4 cup Vegan Parmesean Cheese
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Grease cake pans and sprinkle cornmeal into each. Divide the pizza dough in half and roll out two portions to fit the pans.
3. Sprinkle some Vegan Parm and Daiya Mozzarella onto the crusts. Follow with the sausage/pepperoni, spinach, and tomato sauce.
5. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until crusts are nicely browned (not charred).
Deep Dish Tomato Sauce (Enough for two 8-inch pies)
1 28 oz. can Italian Plum Tomatoes
1 Tbsp Fresh Basil, finely chopped
1/2 tsp Dried Parsley
1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
Pinch of Fennel Seeds
Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
2 - 4 Cloves of Garlic, grated
1/4 tsp Salt
Pinch of Black Pepper
1. Put the tomatoes into a medium sized pot and break them up with a spoon or spatula. Add in all the other ingredients and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat and let it continue to simmer until thickened, about 30 minutes. Let cool a bit before putting on the pizzas.
Peace, Love, and the Chicago Cubs!!
Pam and KT