-My mother's addiction to coffee
-My best friend's addiction to iced coffee
-The fact that all of my friends are Certified Baristas
These factors combined equal a problem, but hey, it's not the worst thing I could be addicted to, right? RIGHT? So when Starbucks introduced their new coconut syrup for the summer, I was sold. A Mocha Coconut Frappucino? Again, sold. FRAPPUCINO HAPPY HOUR?! Be still, my heart.
As soon as a drank one of these concoctions (made with soy milk, of course), I knew it had to be a cupcake and it had to be in my stomach. I immediately called my mom. This was something only she would understand. Thank GOD we think alike.
Mocha Coconut Cupcakes
(Commentary by Pam)
There are 3 components to this recipe, but do not be scared! It is worth it. Trust us.
For the Mocha Cupcake:
- 1 cup soymilk
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. chocolate extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder (half regular, half dutch processed. This is of course optional, but I find that using the dutch processed makes the end result darker and richer, making for a better cupcake! I don't use a full 1/3 cup of the dutch processed because it is a pricey ingredient.)
- 2 Tbsps. instant espresso powder
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line the cupcake pan with cute paper liners.
- Whisk together soymilk and vinegar in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flower, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add sugar, oil, and extracts to 1st bowl (soymilk mixture) and beat with electric mixer until foamy.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients in 2 batches and beat until fairly smooth.
- Distribute into 12 liners. Bake 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Transfer to cooling rack and cool completely before frosting.
For the Coconut Frosting:
- 1/4 cup vegan shortening
- 1/4 cup vegan margarine
- 1 and 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp coconut extract
- 1-2 Tbsp. coconut milk (You can use soymilk, but using the coconut milk really adds to the overall flavor of the frosting.)
- Beat shortening and margarine together until well mixed and fluffy.
- Add the powdered sugar, extracts, and soymilk alternately and beat until fluffy. If too loose, add a little more powdered sugar. If too stiff, add a few drops of extra coconut milk.
- Toast 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut in a dry pan over med-high heat until lightly browned.
- Frost cupcakes with Coconut Frosting.
- Sprinkle toasted coconut on each cupcake.
- Drizzle Chocolate on top, just like they do at Starbucks!
- 1/8 cup soymilk
- 2 ounces (1/4 cup) semisweet vegan chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- In a tiny, little pan, heat soy milk to a bubble. Immediately remove from heat and stir in chocolate chipes and syrup. Continue stirring until chocolate chips are completely melted and incorporated. Cool to room temperature and drizzle away!
Peace, Love, and Cupcakes!
Pam and KT