2 cups Vital Wheat Gluten
1/2 cup Nutritional Yeast
1/2 cup Chickpea Flour
2 Tbsp Onion Powder
2 Tbsp Garlic Powder
1 Tbsp Paprika
1 Tbsp Fennel Seeds, crushed
1 Tbsp Caraway Seeds, crushed
2 tsp fine Sea Salt
2 cups cool tap water
3 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
1 Tbsp Ground Black Pepper
1. In a large bowl, mix together the vital wheat gluten, nutritional yeast, chickpea flour, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, fennel seeds, caraway seeds, and salt. In a large measuring cup, whisk together the water, olive oil, and red wine vinegar. Gently stir into the dry ingredients. Stir just until the ingredients are mixed.
2. Shape the dough into a roast, sprinkle with coarsely ground black pepper, and wrap in a 100% cotton tea towel. Heat a steamer pot to boiling and place the roast in the top. Steam for 45 to 50 minutes, or until roast is firm.
3. Carefully remove the roast from the steamer and place on cutting board. Unwrap the roast and let it cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until ready to use.
What you'll need for 4 delicious sandwiches:
1/2 of the Vegan Pastrami Roast, sliced thinly
1 to 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
8 slices of Marble Rye Bread (any Rye Bread will do, but this stuff just looks SO COOL!)
1 can Bavarian Style Sauerkraut
4 to 6 slices of Vegan Swiss style Cheese
Special Sauce (recipe below)
1. Heat olive oil in skillet or griddle to medium high heat. Warm Vegan Pastrami Roast in the oil until just beginning to brown. Remove to platter and wipe out skillet or griddle.
2. Warm sauerkraut in a small pan over medium heat.
3. Heat skillet or griddle again to medium heat. Assemble sandwiches by spreading special sauce on each slice of bread. Pile on Vegan Pastrami, the sauerkraut, and the vegan cheese. Spread the margarine on the outsides of the sandwiches and grill until toasty and the cheese is melted.
1/2 cup Veganaise
2 Tbsp Ketchup
2 Tbsp Chili Sauce
1 rounded Tbsp Pickle Relish
1/4 tsp Onion Powder
Dash of Salt
1. Mix well and use on Reubens, Burgers, or any other "Special" Sandwich!
When we served up these sandwiches with crispy, crinkly french fries dipped in ketchup, they totally hit the spot. Hankering...satisfied.